Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Mushroom hunting

I got to go mushroom hunting for the very first time today!  It was tons of fun!!  It was in a very hilly place so I did a lot of climbing!!  It reminded me of my days in Georgia climbing Kennesaw Mountain or even Stone Mountain (without most of the trees, etc!! LOL).  Was thinking being part mountain goat would have been a good thing to be during that time!! LOL  I guess the mushrooms we were hunting were called Morel Mushrooms.  Suppose to be really good eatin' if you enjoy that kind of thing. I found the first mushroom and I found the most mushrooms!!  And I was the newbie!! LOL Everyone kept asking me if I could smell them.  My nose does work VERY well.  I think I could probably train it to find them. They have a very distinct scent about them. I found a really nice Morel Mushroom hunting guide via Field and Stream Mag online.  But I enjoy my time out in the woods anyway.  I love trees and feel very connected to God when surrounded by trees full of life. It was lovely listening to the birds throughout the trees and the little frogs jumping when you rustled through the dead leaves on the floor of the woods.  The only tough thing about it was climbing through the rose bush thorns.  Apparently the Young Farmers of America decided that a certain rose bush (I cannot remember their name) made wonderful natural cow barriers and they used them for such.  Worked out fine and dandy until the birds started eating the fruit on it and then pooped the seeds out and the stuff started sprouting up everywhere!!  And apparently the only thing that kills those suckers are goats eating it!! They love the stuff Uncle Gary said.  I know I don't!! LOL I have tons of scratches on my arms from those nasty little suckers!!  Another draw back is the ticks!!  I pulled about 7 or 8 of those little boogers from my body after hunting.

Altogether though it was a nice day!

We got some plants from Mom and Grandpa today too!!  Was tickled pink to see those!!  Got 3 Goji berries, 3 Honeyberries, 2 Giant Blueberries, 3 Nanking Cherry bushes and 2 Japanese Maple trees!!  So excited!!  Have never had any of those fruits (except maybe the blueberries!!) so I will be excited to see the fruit on those within 1-2 years!!  Re-planted our Blackberry bushes today too.  Between our fruit trees, our berry bushes, the couple grape vines and the garden I want to grow, we shall be pretty set at some point!! LOL

Ahhhh, we are so blessed!!  Getting to use the land that God blessed us with ... ahhhhh!!  Life is great!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment